General Points of AED Prescribing
Medication choice is based on syndrome and every effort should be made to achieve a syndromal diagnosis as this has far reaching implications for prognosis and a successful choice of anticonvulsants.
- In general introduce drugs slowly as they are better tolerated.
- Ensure compliance before discontinuing a drug.
- Each drug must be given an adequate trial. A drug fails if it does not work at adequate dosage or there are adverse effects.
- To say a drug has failed it should be prescribed to the maximum recommended tolerated dose if possible or a level obtained showing it is in the higher normal range.
- Changing formulation or brand is not recommended due to the variability in bioavailability.
This page was created in March 2012. It was last reviewed in December 2017.