Children's epilepsy resource for Clinicians

Resource site:

Mental Health Resources

If a child, adolescent, or parent is having difficulties with depression, anxiety or behaviour, visiting the local GP is a good first place to start.


  • The GP can provide initial assessment and medical treatment,  and refer to a mental health professional if necessary. 
  • GP’s can create a Mental Health Plan which will enable the patient to access services and receive Medicare rebates under the Medicare Better Access intiative.
  • Alternatively, the GP can refer the patient to a Psychiatrist or Paeditrician for assessment and diagnosis. The Psychiatrist or Paediatrician can then refer directly to allied health and mental health services without a Mental Health Plan once a diagnosis has been made.


The below document provides contact details for a range of mental health services available in Greater Sydney and regional NSW. It also provides links to electronic resources and e-mental health programmes as well as phone numbers for agencies that provide support via telephone. The list is not exhaustive but should serve as a guide on resources available:






This page was last reviewed in December 2017.